Thursday, September 9, 2010

Whatever I do is insignificant... but its important that I do it.

Hello guys, been reading a lot lately and came across this particular quote and I found it interesting. Add to that, another quote I heard President Obama use a lot, "Be the change you want to see in this world" and you have a recipe for a short story. Frankly, I do not idolise Barack Obama and I find the story of his life pretty regular, even though it may seem like "living the American dream" to many. However, I do like his views, the articulate manner in which he puts them forward and certain motivational quotes he uses from time to time in his speeches. I would pick one of them and give my 2 cents worth on the same.


Every time I think of doing something out of the regular, I used to ask myself will it matter to anyone what I do? Will anyone notice that I did a good thing towards XYZ ; will the world ever know my story. Turns out, no one cares what I do and no one is interested in it.. then should I go ahead and do it? I think I should, cos its important to me. Anna Hazare, the eternal crusader against corruption or say the countless NGOs that are working in India today, worked / work / will work despite the fact that people like us show general apathy towards the cause they take up. They do it to validate their beliefs and most importantly to be the change they want to see in this world.


Sister Teresa started the Missionaries of Charity at Calcutta when she was merely an 20 year old Nun. She used to go into the slums on Calcutta and try and nurse the poor and homeless. She had a small group of people assisting her and at that point of time. She neither had the financial or moral support to go on in this manner. Imagine, how many people must have told her to go back to her home country and run an educational institution, as most Nuns do. Imagine being in a foreign country; not knowing the language and going into the city's underbelly areas (normally infamous for shady activities) and trying to shelter the homeless; feed the hungry; clothe the poor and nurse the sick at cost of risking personal security. How many people would undergo so many adversities to take care of people you do not know, who are not even your country men with no publicity and with no one even bothering to ask "why are you doing this". Today, Missionaires of Charity is a renouned organization; Mother Teresa is a world citizen and soon the Vatican will grant her saint hood. But am sure if you asked Mother Teresa, she would say that she would have worked with same enthusiasm even without any recognition towards her work. That was because, she never did it for others to recognise, she did it to validate her inner call, to give the love of God to his less fortunate sons and daughters... most importantly to show respect towards human life.


Brings me to the original point, when we decide to do something, never think about how it is going to impact others; how many people will recognise the work, effort etc.. Always understand, whatever you do will always be insignificant at a world stage, but you must still go ahead and do it.. just for yourself... and for a fact that "If every person tries to be the change he wants in this world.. together, we can make this a better place for all" .....

So long .....

No comments: