Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pretty Woman

Julia Roberts and "pretty woman" go hand in hand. It was the first movie of Julia Roberts that I ever watched and even though it didn't make much sense to me (I was very young back then), I loved her screen presence and Richard Gere's panache. I am not here to talk about her though, its about my very own take on pretty woman (not the movie).

Years and years of male shallowness about female beauty has made a major impact on the female brain. Women are now, more than ever convinced that how they look constitutes a major portion about how the world perceives them. In India the love for fair skin tone is additional burden that women carry. Indians are unique, they are just fascinated by the erstwhile colonial masters and their skin tone and have accepted its superiority. It has nothing to do with racism, its pure fascination. Of late, the men have changed their view about female beauty, the fulsome bodies that once all men lusted for, are not longer all that they need. Men have gone deeper than that and accepted virtues as the best assets in a woman. They want their woman to be intelligent, empathetic, caring and understanding person rather than just a arm candy. Let me clarify, I am talking about men, not boys. Boys will forever chase the bimbos.. no doubt about that, but I was hoping that women would have began to love the real men rather than having boy-toys.


This brings me back to my earlier point, pretty woman. The thing I learnt after revisiting the movie and a few life experiences is this, the parameters that men use to find a mate have changed and its high time the women realise this. Its no longer a virtue to be a virgin bride as once understood, men find women who can take them on.... on an equal footing more sexier. Men want someone whom they can share their thoughts with, someone who understands their needs to be competitive, someone who can take care of them and love them for all their shortcomings. If this particular woman looks like Julia Roberts, great... but that's not a required attribute anymore.


Its time women wake up to this reality and know that the next time they dress to kill, they are doing it just for female competition, bcos the guy whom they wanna end up with, will have her looks as last priority and the ones that fall for looks aren't gonna be around for long.

So long...

No comments: