Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why me....?

This post is dedicated to a friend of mine for some wonderful thoughts she presented... I have used it here for the merit it presents.

I was discussing an incident with a friend of mine where I felt I was unfairly treated by life and was saying the phrase, God!!! why me? To this, she told me a story about Arthur Ashe and the famous question asked to him.

Arthur Ashe, better known for his exploits on the tennis field had to undergo two heart surgeries. He was shocked when he found out that things had gone horribly wrong and he had contracted HIV during the blood transfusions he had received during one of his two heart surgeries. He and his wife kept his illness private for a long time because of the stigma attached. When reports that the newspaper USA Today was about to publish a story about his condition, he was forced to make a public announcement that he had the disease. During the last year of his life, Arthur Ashe did much to call attention to AIDS sufferers worldwide. Two months before his death, he founded the Arthur Ashe Institute for Urban Health, to help address issues of inadequate health care delivery. During the opening ceremony, he was questioned by a journalist as to did he ever feel , God!!! why me??

His reply was classic, "I never said God!! why me?? when I won all those Grand Slams so why should I now?"

It made a lot of sense to me, I never complained when I was showered with all the good fortune, then why complain in face of slightest adversity...

Hope we learnt something today... Until next time...

No comments: