Friday, February 8, 2013

Spirituality – Religion in 21st Century India gets more complex



My first brush with religion was as a boy of 5 (as far back as I remember). My mother would sit me down with my sister every evening at about 7pm and ‘make us’ pray to Lord Ganesha – the first among God’s – the ‘Vighnaharata’ – the destroyer of all obstructions. I never much understood what I was saying or whom I was praying to, except I believed that my mother knew it and so it must have been right. This ritual went on for about another 7 years. The only time of the day when my sister and I would prostate before the almighty and mime words in Sanskrit and pay our obseience to our maker would be the 7pm evening prayers. I give credit to my parents for never trying to force religion on me. I always assumed it was their background as medical professionals that made them have healthy reverence on the almighty but never too clingy and over dependent. I must have been about 12 years old when religion hit me hard. On one of my visits to Bombay (Oh! How much I loved those yearly visits), I happened to notice that my cousins – who were much younger than I was, had memorized Sanskrit hymns for every occasion. There was a morning prayer; there was prayer before meals, an hour long evening prayer and a prayer at bedtime as well.  To add to that my cousins were followers of Sathya Sai Baba and attended classes to learn more Sanskrit prayers. I felt an inferiority complex for the first time in my life. I felt I was the atheist of the family who many times gave a miss to the 7pm evening prayer (my 5 minutes with God) and here were my cousins, much younger than I who spent so much time just praying. Once or twice, I even heard few relatives commenting that we (my sister and I) were not brought up well and religious culture was not imbibed in us. I did feel I was missing out on something. It was the cult feeling – everyone in the family was overtly religious except for me.



I do remember asking my mother, why we have to say the same prayer every day while my cousins know so many hymns and ‘shloka’ in Sanskrit. To which her reply was simple – Ganesha was the provider of knowledge and students my age should seek knowledge. “If you pray to him daily, you will, through him, learn about other Gods” – still remember her short reply. Needless to say, I spent most of my childhood either playing games or studying math – my mother loved math and had always aced it – I was performing not too bad, but excellent was my benchmark. As far as I remember, my sister and I were the only 2 kids in the family whose benchmark was always higher in terms of behavior and academia. It was like my parents were making up for the lack of religious enthusiasm with acute detailing of acceptable behavior and academic levels. I must give the credit where it is due, if I am of some standing today, morally or academically, the credit goes to relentless pursuit of perfection on basis of ‘active pursuit’ by both my parents. Needless to say, very early in my life, my subconscious was developed for ethical behavior than ornate display of religious devotion.



I must be biased in my views, but religion has always been personal to me. It was so, because it was fiercely personal to my parents too. I remember not having remembered what religion or caste most of my school friends belonged to. In fact, it was news to me in 8th grade, when one of my teachers told the class that one can guess a person’s religion by knowing the name. I remember discussing the topic with my grandmother, who then gave me a detail picture of how divided we are within Hinduism – caste and sub-caste wise; and at a higher level on basis of religion. I must say, it was the day I lost my innocence. I started to read into people’s names to find a trace of the religion they belonged to. I mean – innocently- it was a new science to me and I wanted to make sure I perfected it. I don’t blame my parents or even grandparents for any caste bias they had in mind. They were after all from a different generation and these identities mattered a lot to them. I remember my father’s shocked face when I told him “I don’t like you treating Muslim patients to working in Muslim area”. Yeah, ghettoization began long before I arrived in this world, apparently. I had always known my father in two shades – smiling and happy when I was good and unforgiving when I did something bad- that day I saw a third shade- of disappointment. He sat me down and calmly explained to me how religion was irrelevant factor for a doctor to treat his patients. He went on explaining at great lengths of how we are born equal – irrespective of caste or religion and we all seek to pray to the same God whom we refer to in different forms. I must say, to this day, I try and follow those words in letter and spirit but I never really knew what they meant then. Soon we got more involved into academia and pressures of higher studies took precedence over all other issues – religion included. For the next 6- 7 years religion was wiped out of my memory… until 2002 riots came long.



I remember as if it was yesterday, I was arguing with a bunch of classmates on what happened in Gujarat. It was an emotive issue and the whole of India was divided into “pseudo-secular” and “hindutva” ideologies. I was called ‘pseudo’ secular because I believed that one must not harm others at all cost. Enforcing law and order is duty of state and not for individuals to arrogate it onto oneself. I must say the scars of what happened in Gujarat left indelible mark on my conscience because it challenged each and every doctrine of life – as I had learned from my parents. Apparently, religion had become an ornament one must ostentatiously wear and show off at every possible occasion. I could not accept universal acceptance to this new doctrine. While we were debating religion, lot many channels started mushrooming (television boom) who gave religious sermons. India was never as openly Hindu and so unabashedly too. Every channel, worth its salt had a “baba” who would preach you Hindu way of life. Not to be left far behind – Muslims had one channel, Christians had foreign English channels and Sikhs had Punjabi religious channel. In short, religion had become such a important part of everyone’s life. Everyone I knew was following some “baba” or “fakir” or “pastor” and I was left behind the learning curve with only values on humanity with no grasp of religion. I remember being outcast in many a discussion – “Which baba is God?” I had enough people telling me – this topic is not for you, you are an atheist. I was not. I would be proud of being an atheist if I was one, but my subconscious was trained to “religion is personal” not to be discussed or debated. Apparently, we had become so involved in religion that we needed to see a living, physical form of divine and not just accept the existence of a divine spirit. Religion was the most – in your face thing. Everyone, who was anyone, came out with ridiculous proposition of how we Indians need to safeguard our “religious culture”. It goes without saying that many of these involved in what women could or could not do.



We saw a spate of violence against “immoral” pub going young women or couple canoodling on Valentine’s Day or women visiting holy shrines or women having a grip of their bodies or sexuality. As an adult myself, having met my fair share of women, I knew that women were as free spirited as I was and I had no right to demand something from another human being that I would not do myself. ‘Women’ was the rare unifying force for all the various religion and caste that exists in India. All the religious leaders or caste ‘panchayat’ or ‘Khap’ were unanimous in their decree of making women freedom subject to restraint from the male members of her family. At first, people privately disagreed or refused to follow the ‘dictat’ but once the spate of violence increased targeting young women on pretext of “protecting culture”. India – I mean liberal values within India stood up and fought these fringe elements that had made their way into mainstream tagging onto the coattails of religion. “Babas” faced a unnatural prospect of being question of what they considered was Gospel according to them. As days passed by, every now and then a baba was exposed for improper sexual conduct. The skeletons started falling out – from baba of ‘puttaparthy’ to ‘Nityanad’ to several other small timers were being exposed by the day. Many others got involved in politics and were caught off guard wielding clout. Rest of Babas, were plainly using ashrams for illegal trafficking. All of sudden, so much muck was being raised on the so called “holders of Indian culture” that these pseudo vigilante movements against women morality stopped abruptly and died an unnatural death. Volunteers of these fringe groups could not justify calling a woman immoral when his baba was caught sleeping with 3.



I was once told that Indians can let go of religion but religion shall never let go of India. Sure enough, the religion struck back this time targeting free speech, literature, arts cinema and whole host of things. Today, as we speak, there are fatwas or threats being issued against some painter or film maker or writer for “hurting religious sentiments”. This time the vengeance is even stronger because in some form, the state is protecting these fringe groups. Somewhere, it seems the constitution mentions that free speech or expression can be curtailed if it happens to hurt sensibilities of some fringe element – provided the fringe element threatens violence. I would really like to read this constitution that is strictly subscribed by these states and not seen by the rest of us (including the Supreme Court). How is it, that religion which should have been a part of individual identity – a personal part, becomes so larger than life that it infringes upon people’s right to expression through their art / literature / film?  How can a State, sworn to protect individual fundamental rights of citizen under the constitution, abdicate their duties to pander to fringe elements. Why is India the only country which has more exception than rules? We must try and answer these questions in the context of importance of religion is one’s life. If I can write an article disliking a tenet of the “Holy Quran”, should I be condemned to death for blasphemy? If I write a movie script depicting fundamentalist Hindus blowing up the ‘Taj Mahal’ do I mean disrespect to all Hindus? If my friend – who has a natural talent for music has to give up her singing because its “haram” in Islam but the same Mufti is silent about several people who kill in the name of Islam, should I not question that Mufti’s understanding of religion? If in any form of art, I offend my God, who by the way has no qualms about being depicted naked, should I be persecuted in my own country? Finally, is religion the only significant thing left on which we are ready to kill/ maim / hurt fellow Indians with whom we share this wonderful history of togetherness? I do hope someone is listening to my silent prayers and sooner than later we will again defeat these fringe elements and relegate them to the fringes. Nothing can be a good reason to harm a fellow human being – not even religion.



So long…

No comments: